Plaza Glorieta, 1
Cox was a Moorish farmstead that was conquered in the 12th century and then given to Raís de Crevillente. In 1450 Juan Ruiz Dávalos bought it from Roca de Togores and requested permission from Juan II of Aragon to construct a small palace on top of the ridge. The village is close to the Sierra de Callosa on a plain and in a fertile zone where many types of vegetables and fruits are grown and then sold in the markets of Alicante. Cox´s fortified palace, which has been recently restored, is a massive stone structure without crenellations or battlements. It comprises a walled enclosure and a polygon-shaped palace. On top of a small ridge, close to the palace, there is a hermitage which can be reached by a Way of the Cross.
Rice with serranas (mountain produce), gacha miga, garlic soup.
Fifteenth-century castle and church.
Name of Councillor:
Teonila Lozano Quirante
Festivals and Events:
Patron saint celebrations are held for the Virgin del Carmen on the 16th of July, and for St Isidore on the 15th of May.
It can be reached from Orihuela or from Albatera via a road that passes through Redován. In both Albatera and Orihuela there are exits off the Murcia-Alicante road. 48 km from Alicante and 91 from Benidorm.
Tour of the town:
Castle. Potholing in the Perro cave.
Potholing and mountain-bikes.
EL BAIX SEGURA/ LA VEGA BAJA
Number inhabitants 2006
A Enero de 2010: 7100 Hab